What’s in a boot?

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

A few things have been on my mind lately. Technology, Mastodon, Twitter, MOOCs, upcoming conference presentations, data, privacy, analytics, SPLOTs, open, research and backups. Gardening, drawing, kids, sleep, freedom, control, choice, culture and sewing. Swirling, swirling. Today, as I thought … Continued

Finding a voice: Without apology

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

I thought about calling this post “Finding a voice while traveling with a tinfoil hat in a time of post-permanence: Lessons from OER17 and other places” but that seemed like a lot to unpack in a single blog post. So … Continued

Lesson I need to learn?

posted in: Uncategorized | 5

It might be good I’m on my way to a beach vacation tomorrow… People who know me, know that my 13 year-old son has been struggling in school. He quit going altogether in the first semester. Then he started … Continued

Voices in the margins

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

In open online spaces, we are not equally fragile. It is everyone’s responsibility to listen and care and support marginal voices. Whether or not they wish to speak. Whether or not they wish to be present. Whether or not they … Continued

What do I hope to do?

posted in: Work in progress | 2

I’ve been conflicted lately. I’ve felt the need to pause and reflect on what I’ve done, am doing and hope to do. What I’ve done: Working for a call center company is not glamorous. Most folks have an interesting/ tough … Continued

Learning to code: Six women &a mooc

posted in: Technology | 0

I have some much to do over the next few days, but here I am writing a blog post confession… Damn Twitter, damn interesting people who make me think 😉 Scrolling through my Twitter this morning, I came across Laura … Continued

Noticing remarkableness

posted in: Learning | 1

I’m tired of being told that online learners are uninterested, uninvolved and unengaged because, from where I sit, I see us as completely connected to our work, communities, families and school–we may just be too involved to step back and … Continued

From the margins

posted in: Learning | 4

“marginality … is also the site of radical possibility, a space of resistance “ –  bell hooks cited on the Marginal Syllabus from her book Yearning: Race, Gender, and Cultural Politics (1990) as cited in Maha Bali’s Reproducing Marginality There have been a few … Continued

Learning is… a month-long adventure

posted in: Learning | 0

It’s been a long month. A strange month. I’ve spent a lot of time engaging with some different approaches to change in teaching and learning (the good, the bad and the pragmatic). Learning is social, collaborative and knowledge creation The … Continued

A hammer is not a solution

posted in: Technology | 0

I stumbled across the quote below from a recent blog post by Donna Lanclos: “I want to get people to start from the notion that there are educational things that they want to do, or educational processes that they would like … Continued

In defence of the lowly KPI…

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

I’ve had alot of fun hanging out with an Ed Tech/ Open Ed group over the past week. Most of what was said made sense to me. Then the conversation shifted to KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)… Now I have seen … Continued

Big Ideas and Organic Growth

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

I just got back from a conference, an experience that almost leaves me with a few nuggets to ponder, often about what was not said or the opportunity. In this case, the main takeaway nugget from OpenEd2015 related to little … Continued

Solutionary needs

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

I happened across a podcast of Grace Lee Boggs recently on The Moth. In it she said: “It is such a wonderful time to be alive, because we can create solutions and he [Jimmy] was a solutionary. He could do … Continued

The “Do Nothing” Choice

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

I work in a support role, so usually people don’t ask for my help when things are running relatively smoothly. “If ain’t broke don’t fix it,” works for me. As a result, it seems that I am usually dealing with … Continued

css.php